Some notes from Mark Barker, our intrepid air quality data analyst:
- 6 Yellow Moderate Ozone days and 2 Yellow Moderate Ozone days in July.
- For the most part, the yellow days were just in the Moderate zone, just over the Green, good threshold. Not bad considering all those hot days.
- For the year so far, only 13 yellow ozone days and 8 yellow PM 2.5 days.
- It has been over 5 years since the Roanoke Valley has registered an Orange, Unhealthy AQI for Ozone.
- It has been over 9 years since the Roanoke Valley has registered an Orange, Unhealthy AQI for PM 2.5.
- (Note: Above 2 statements are based on the final 8 hour ozone and 24 hour PM 2.5 averages at the end of the day. EPA Air Now may indicate brief Orange AQI hourly readings based on their Air Now calculations.)
Last Roanoke Valley Orange, Unhealthy AQI
- PM 2.5: June 13, 2008 AQI 141 Concentration 59.7 – 60.2
- Ozone: June 29, 2012 AQI 104 Concentration 77